1. Wash the beans and soak overnight in cold water. Drain the beans and place in a large pot and add the water and pork hocks. Over medium-high heat, bring the beans to a boil, then cover the pot and reduce the heat to medium-low. Allow the beans to cook until almost tender, approximately 2 hours.
2. When the beans are cooking, prepare the condiment mix. In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat, add the tomatoes, onions, salt, garlic, cilantro and ground cumin and cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
3. When the beans are almost tender, add the condiment mix, plantains, carrots and salt. Cover and cook for another hour or until the beans are fully cooked.
Use the same ingredients except use just 4 cups of water instead of 6.
1. Wash the beans and soak overnight in cold water. Drain the beans and place in a slow cooker, add 4 cups water and pork hocks and cook on high for about 2 hours.
2. Follow step 2 in the regular pot recipe.
3. Add the condiment mix, plantains, carrots and salt then cover and cook for another 3 hours. Taste for salt and serve.