Pikelets With Berries
photo by Baby Kato
- Ready In:
- 125 g self-raising flour
- 25 g unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 125 ml low-fat milk
- 15 g caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot
- 350 g mixed berries, dried and hulled (blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, washed)
- 25 g demerara sugar
- 300 ml double cream, low-fat is fine, to serve
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl, add the butter and rub into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs and the milk, then add the egg-milk mixture to the flour-butter-breadcrumb mixture.
- Then stir in the caster sugar and mix all the ingredients until you have a smooth batter.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan and drop in spoonfuls of the batter, spacing them well apart.
- Cook the pikelets until the surface starts to bubble, then flip them over with a spatula or egg-slide and cook the other side, for about 2 minutes.
- Remove the pikelets, transfer them to a plate and keep them warm. The batter should make about 8 pikelets in total.
- Once all the pikelets have been made, wipe the pan.
- Mix together the orange juice and arrowroot.
- Heat the orange juice and demerara sugar in the pan, stir in the orange juice mixture, add the berries and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the sauce thickens.
- Whip the cream into soft peaks, divide the pikelets between 4 serving plates, top with spoonfuls of whipped cream and fruit and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I have never had pikelets before...they were delicious. I made 1/2 the batch...resulting in 12 small pikelets. They were moist, tender and very buttery. The sauce was sweet and delicious. I used dried blueberries, frozen strawberries and fresh raspberries. Garnished with a little whipped cream, they were perfect. Thanks for sharing bluemoon.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
July 2008 update: VERY happy to be back on Zaar after about a two year absence due to having had no internet connection at home, and having been too unwell for a time so that getting re-connected wasn't even a priority! <br> <br>And really looking forward to getting back into the Zaar world and connecting again with the many wonderful people I knew before, and new people, of course!