Pickled Garlic (Canning)
photo by Ladymedic
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
5 Half pints
- 12 large heads of garlic (about 1 3/4lb)
- 2 1⁄2 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon pickling salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 5 -9 dried red chili peppers
- Separate bulbs into cloves. To soften and loosen skins blanch the garlic cloves in rapidly boiling water for 30 seconds. Place in ice water, drain and peel the cloves.
- Place 5 clean 250ml mason jars in boiling water or a combo of 250mls and 125ml jars like I did. And place the snap lids in a separate pot to boil five minutes to soften compound.
- In a large pot place vinegar, wine, salt, sugar and oregano. Bring to a boil, boil gently for one minute. Remove from heat add peeled garlic to hot vinegar mixture. Stir for one minute.
- Place one chili pepper in each jar and pack with garlic to withing 2cm of top rim. Add hot liquid to within 1cm of top rim. Using rubber spatula remove air bubbles and wipe rims with damp paper towel. Place snap lid on jar and finger tighten screw band on.
- Place jars in canner. Cover with one inch of boiling water and bring canner to a boil. Once at a full boil process for your altitude. Remove from pot and let sit 24 hours undisturbed. Check after 24 hrs for seal. Refrigerate any unsealed jars.
- Remove screw bands and clean bands and jar necks. Store in a cool dark place.
- For elevations up to 1000ft process 10 minutes, 1001-3000fr process 15 minutes 3001-6000 process 20 minutes and over 6001 process 25 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I work in emergency medicine in a small town in Alberta. We just bought a farm house on 3/4 acre and I couldn't be more excited. We have apple trees, crabapple trees and a garden so big I could only plant half of it this year and still got a bumper crop. Lately I have been into canning and "Once a month cooking" to feed my boyfriend while he is away at school. He loves his personal tv dinners! And of course lots of baked goodies too. <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg">