Pickled Carrots With Onion and Garlic
photo by Rita1652
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
8 8 ounce jars
- 5 cups white distilled vinegar (5% acidity)
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons canning salt
- 7 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 10 peppercorns
- 2 lbs carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 8 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 4 teaspoons celery seeds
- Combine vinegar, water, sugar and salt in a large pot. Bring to boil then gently boil for 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, dill, peppercorns, carrots and onions and simmer till carrots are still crisp about 10 minutes.
- Place 2 teaspoons mustard seed and 1 teaspoon celery seed in the bottom of each clean, hot pint jar.
- Pack carrot mixture into sterilized 8-8 ounce jars. Leaving 1/2 - 1 inch head space. Remove air bubbles. wipe rim and place lids and rings on.
- Place in a hot water bath for 15 minutes 0-1000 ft.
- 20 minutes at1001-6000 ft or above 6000 ft for 25 minutes.
- Remove jars lifting the jars out of the water and let them cool on a wooden cutting board or a towel, without touching or bumping them in a draft-free place. Remove the rings and wipe rims. They do taste great now but wait a couple days and they`ll be so much better.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!