Penzey's Baked Potato Soup
- Ready In:
- 5 lbs russet baking potatoes
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 3 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 cups onions, minced
- 7 1⁄2 cups chicken stock (or 1 TB of chicken soup base dissolved in 7 1/2 cups of)
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Wash and dry potatoes, poke with a fork, and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until soft.
- Cool to room temperature by refrigerating for 1 hour.
- Remove the skins and coarsely chop the potatoes; set aside.
- Finely chop bacon and fry until crispy.
- Drain the bacon on paper towels and set aside.
- Let the milk come to room temperature.
- Place 1 1/2 cups of chopped potatoes into blender.
- Blend or mash with a little water to make potatoes thin, yet smooth and creamy.
- In a large, heavy pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat.
- Add the onions and cook until they are soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- In a separate pan, heat the chicken broth to boiling.
- Using a wooden spoon, gradually mix the flour into the onion mixture, slowly add the rest of the chicken broth to the onion mixture.
- Next, add the potato puree. Mix well.
- Lower the heat to simmer and cook for 30 minutes. Stir often.
- If soup is too thick, thin with more milk.
- Add 3/4 of the crisp bacon and mix well.
- Serve garnished with the remaining bacon, cheddar cheese, and chives.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!