Pawpaw Chiffon Pie
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (either brown or white)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup pawpaw, pureed pulp
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 9 inches pastry shells, baked (a graham cracker crust will work, too)
- Soften gelatin in cold water.
- Combine the ½ cup sugar with the salt, egg yolks, and milk in the top of a double boiler.
- Cook over boiling water, stirring constantly, until mixture coats a spoon.
- Remove from heat and stir in softened gelatin and pawpaw puree.
- Chill until a spoonful holds its shape (about half an hour).
- Beat the egg whites stiff with ¼ cup of white sugar.
- Fold egg whites and half of the whipped cream into the filling.
- Pour into the baked pastry shell.
- Spread remaining whipped cream on top of pie.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!