Passover Pizza Souffle
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
I've been making this for years, but never seemed to put it up here on Zaar. I Googled myself today (painful) and this recipe came up, I had submitted it to a discussion list about 10 years ago.
- Ready In:
- butter, for the pan
- 5 matzos
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can tomato sauce & mushrooms
- onion powder (optional)
- garlic powder (optional)
- 1⁄2 - 3⁄4 lb American cheese or 1/2-3/4 lb mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Lightly butter a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Wet the matzos lightly with water.
- Fit 2 1/2 matzos on the bottom of the pan.
- Cover the matzos with half of the tomato sauce and arrange the sliced cheese over the sauce.
- Cover the cheese with the remaining matzos and pour the remaining sauce over the whole thing.
- Sprinkle the top with onion and garlic powder.
- Beat the eggs with the milk and pour this over the matzos.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven for 30 minutes or until the custard is set.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before cutting into serving portions.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Made this almost as directed--used a whole pound of mozzarella and put an extra layer of cheese on top. Needed to cook an extra 15 minutes and covered with aluminum foil to prevent burning.<br/>Yummy! One of my daughters really liked it; the other said it was okay, but I liked it enough to give it 5 stars. Thanks, Mirj!
OMG...what an absolute treat! I love pizza and make one every year during Passover, using a muffin recipe as a base for the crust. However, this year I wanted something different and thought I would give this a try. I used some of the suggestions of others and it was wonderful. I too, used a mixture of cheddar and mozzarello cheeses and also added some diced onions, but I read the recipe wrong and made it like lasagne. <br/><br/>I followed the recipe layering the matzo, sauce, cheeses, onions and spices. Then did the same with the last layer of matzo. I also halved the recipe and made it in a 8 x 8 inch pan. This is most definitely a keeper! I loved it! Thank you so very much for sharing this!