- Ready In:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 12 ounces chocolate chips
- 1 cup maraschino cherry
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cream shortening and sugars.
- Beat in eggs, add vanilla and beat until fluffy.
- Add milk and dry ingredients alternately.
- Stir in cherries and chocolate chips.
- Pour into greased jelly roll pan.
- Bake at 325°F for 24-30 minutes.
- Frost with chocolate icing while warm.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I made these as my Christmas gifts this year and they were wonderful! I doubled the recipe, I used butter rather than shortening and doubled the choc chips (half white and half milk). I got rave reviews and will make this again. It looked wonderfully festive on green plates with the red cherries and choc chips. Thanks for posting!
These are easy and tasty bars to prepare, especially appealing, of course, to those who love the combination of cherry and chocolate. It has a cake-like texture, as well. I wasn't sure if I should use whole maraschino cherries, so I "squished" them a bit with a fork to generate more pieces and to release some of the juices. Thanks for sharing!
My niece gave me this recipe. I have no idea as to where it originated. I made these bars today for the first time and took them to a family gathering and brought home an empty pan. The bars are chocked full of chocolate chips and maraschino cherries and are very moist. I would suggest using 1/2 of the chips the recipe calls for and maybe adding more cherries. They are Mmm Mmm good! I forgot to ice my party bars but they were plenty rich without the frosting.