Paleo Party Pork Carnitas
photo by Turner Broadcasting
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 30mins
- 1 (4 lb) tied boneless skinless pork shoulder
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 6 garlic cloves
- 3 small carrots, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1 lemon, peeled with vegetable peeler in 2- to 3-inch strips
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 avocados, cut in 1/4-inch slices
- 2 heads boston lettuce, washed, dried and leaves separated
- 2 limes, cut into eighths
- 1⁄2 bunch cilantro
- 1⁄4 red onion, thinly sliced into half moons
- Generously sprinkle the pork shoulder with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in large nonstick skillet set over high heat. Sear the meat on all sides until deeply browned, about 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer the pork to a slow cooker. Add the almond milk, broth, oregano, garlic, carrots, celery, bay leaves, lemon peel and onions. Set the slow cooker to low, then cover and cook until the meat can be easily pulled apart with a fork, 6 to 8 hours.
- Transfer the pork to a work surface and use two forks to shred the meat. Strain the cooking liquid and reserve. Transfer the pork to a serving platter, then ladle the cooking liquid over the meat and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Place the avocado slices, lettuce leaves, half of the lime wedges, the cilantro sprigs and red onion slices on a platter. Squeeze the remaining lime wedge over the avocados to prevent discoloration. Have guests build their own carnitas lettuce wraps.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Turner Broadcasting creates and programs branded news; entertainment; animation and young adult; and sports media environments on television and other platforms for consumers around the world. Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, Turner is a Time Warner Company.