Orange Chocolate Chip Bread
photo by Boomette
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
1 8-inch loaf
- 1 large orange, zest of, minced
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 2⁄3 cup water, boiling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F & grease an 8"x4" loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, combine orange zest, orange juice & boiling water & let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda & salt.
- In another bowl, beat together the egg, butter & vanilla, then when the OJ mixture is ready, add that to this mixture, before stirring this mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened.
- Fold in the chocolate chips, then pour into the prepared loaf pan & bake 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing the loaf from the pan & putting it upright on the wire rack.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We all loved this 'bread'; based on earlier reviews I reduced the sugar to 3/4 cup and when I saw the amount of dough I decided to cut the chocolate chips back to approx 1/2 cup. I think those measurements were right for us. My orange was very juicy and 1/2 an orange contributed 1/3 cup juice. The orange flavour comes through really nicely. This recipe will definitely be made again!
Great bread! We all liked it and we would try this again.<br/>For special look I prepared the baking mold with baking paper and after greasing it I spread some sugar and I arranged some oranges slices on it.<br/>After baking and removing the paper I got a splendid and effectfull dessert.<br/>Thanks for it!
A nice full of flavor quick bread. I found it more dense than I expected but it does not take away from the orange flavor or the chocolate-y goodness throughout the bread. It is a tad sweeter than I like so next time I'll cut back just a bit on the sugar. It was easy to put together and baked in 55 minutes in my oven to a nice golden brown. We are really enjoying the orange and chocolate flavor for sure and I'm glad I tagged you in Newest Zaar Tag!