Delicious snack cake that is easy to make. Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit (May, 1983).
- Ready In:
- 1 orange
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup sour milk or 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Grease 9x13 baking pan.
- Squeeze juice from orange and set aside.
- Dice peel and rind and put in food processer.
- Add raisins and chop.
- Transfer raisin/rind mixture to bowl.
- Stir in flour, 1 cup sugar, milk, eggs, butter, lemon juice, baking soda and salt and mix together.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Immediately pour orange juice over top of cake and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup sugar
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Very tasty! I made this today and we all found it quite nice. I left out the raisins, we love them but just didn't seem to me that they fit with the type of cake. Also for me the time was quite off, I set my timer for 40 minutes, fortunately I peeked at it at 30 minutes and it was already very brown around the outside. So just warning to others to keep an eye on it so you don't burn it.
Flavorful, moist and quite light in texture. We truly enjoyed this dessert. This was my first try at using the peel as an ingredient & while a bit messy to work with, it certainly gives the finished product a punch! I'm not a fan of raisins but thought that omitting them would alter the volume & moistness too much. Dried cranberries to the rescue! Worked beautifully. My thanks to Chef Ellie for answering my questions.