Old-Fashioned Vanilla Ice Cream
- Ready In:
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3⁄4 cup sugar or 3/4 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Whisk yolks in a large bowl.
- Heat cream, milk, and sugar in saucepan over medium-low until steaming, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Temper 1/2 cup cream mixture into yolks, then whisk yolks into remaining cream mixture.
- Cook custard over medium-low stirring occasionally until thickened, about 3 minutes; add vanilla and salt. The custard is done when a path can be drawn on the back of a spoon.
- Return mixture to a bowl and cool in an ice bath for 8 minutes. Remove bowl from ice bath, cover with plastic wrap, and chill custard at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Churn in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Sorry Food.com, you keep changing the site, and it is just not easy to use. I'm off to Pepperplate.</p>