Old-Fashioned Porridge Bread
- 3 cups water, boiling
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 envelopes active dry yeast
- 2⁄3 cup table molasses
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 1⁄2 - 6 cups all-purpose flour
- Pour 3 cups boiling water Over 2 cups rolled oats 1/4 cup shortening. Stir until shortening melts and let stand for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, dissolve 2 teaspoons sugar in 1 cup lukewarm water (100 F) Over this sprinkle 2 envelopes active dry yeast Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Then stir briskly with a fork.
- Stir into partially cooled rolled oat mixture 2/3 cup table molasses 4 teaspoons salt Cool to lukewarm.
- Add softened yeast to the lukewarm rolled oat mixture. Stir Beat in 2-1/2 cups All Purpose flour Beat vigorously by hand or with electric mixer.
- Then gradually beat in with a spoon an additional 5-1/2 to 6 cups All Purpose flour Work in last of flour with a rotating motion of the hand.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead 8 to 10 minutes.
- Shape into a smooth ball and place in a greased bowl, rotating dough to grease surface. Cover and let rise until doubled (about 1-1/2 hours). Keep in a warm place. Punch down and shape into 4 loaves.
- Place in greased 8-1/2 x 4-1/2 inch loaf pans, grease tops, cover and let rise again until doubled (about 1 hour). Bake in preheated 400F oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!