Old Fashioned Fish Pie
- Ready In:
- 4 cloves
- 1 onion, halved
- 3 cups milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 450 g blue-eye cod, skinned,pin boned
- 450 g smoked haddock or 450 g cod
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, roughly chopped
- 350 g cooked small shrimp, peeled,tails removed,vein removed
- 75 g butter
- 1⁄2 cup plain flour or 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (75g)
- 200 ml heavy cream
- 1 pinch of grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- 4 sheets butter puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- Stick cloves into onion halves and place in a saucepan with milk, bay leaf and fish.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 8 minutes.
- Remove fish with fish slice and cool slightly.
- Strain cooking liquid into a jug, discard solids.
- Flake fish into large chunks, discarding any bones, then season.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat.
- Add flour and cook, stirring for 1-2 minutes.
- Add reserved liquid and cook, stirring until mixture starts to thicken.
- Add cream and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add nutmeg and herbs, then season.
- Pour over fish, then cool.
- Preheat oven to 180oC.
- Pour mixture in four 500ml pie dishes.
- Cut 1cm-wide strips from the edge of pastry sheets.
- Press around rims of dishes and brush with a little water.
- Cut off any excess pastry.
- Cut 2 small slashes in tops for steam.
- Brush pastry with egg and bake for 25 mintues or until pastry is risen and golden.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!