photo by mary winecoff
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups sliced fresh okra, about 2/3 lb. or so
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- salt (optional)
- Combine first 9 ingredients until mixed.
- Stir in okra.
- Pour oil into deep skillet (chicken fryer), about 2" deep of oil, and heat to 350 degrees.
- Drop okra mixture by tablespoonsful into hot oil carefully, and cook until golden brown, turning once.
- Drain on papertowels.
- Sprinkle with a little salt if desired and serve immediately.
- *2 cups frozen sliced okra, thawed, may be subbed for sliced fresh okra. Thaw, then set on papertowels.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hello! Former caterer and restaurant owner taking life slower now and just enjoying photographing my food creations and blogging them! Pop on over to my blog to see over 800 of my recipes at Wildflour's Cottage Kitchen @ wildflourskitchen.com !