Oatmeal Spelt Brown Bread
Bread-machine recipe using spelt flour. Healthy and delicious. Prep time includes bread machine time but not final rise in loaf pan. May be different according to your machine.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup quick oats
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 2 cups whole spelt flour
- 2 cups light spelt flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons instant yeast or 2 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- In a medium bowl, combine oats and boiling water. Let cool to lukewarm.
- Add butter, warm water, salt and molasses. Stir and pour into bread bucket.
- Add both flours and yeast. Start machine on dough cycle. (Or use whole grain cycle and disregard step 4.).
- When cycle ends, dump out dough on floured board. Knead several times and place in greased loaf pan. Let rise in warm place until doubled. Bake at 375ºF for 20-30 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This was the first recipe I used in my new Cuisinart machine. I did the entire process in the machine and didn't interrupt the cycle. I set it on "whole grain" and medium crust- it was done in over 4 hours. That was too long! I should have referred to your prep time and then reset the program. HOWEVER, although the crust was very dark and thick, the texture was lovely. I'll do it again making changes only in the setting, not the ingredients.Reply
Some people who have alleries or sensitivities to wheat can eat spelt. I am one of them. Kamut is also an ancient form of wheat that I am able to tolerate. The first time I made this, I ate half the loaf! I didn't have molasses so substituted 1/4 C packed brown sugar. I used 3 C spelt flour and 7/8 C kamut flour. I also used old fashioned oats and added slightly more water. I don't have a bread machine so make this by hand. I do not knead the dough but stretch and fold a few times. The more you knead spelt the denser your bread will be. The dough also needs to be a little wetter than regular bread dough. This has turned out well every time I have made it.Reply
see 3 more