Not Just for Breakfast Smashbrowns
So easy to make and downright good, you'll want to make these smashbrowns all the time.
- Ready In:
- 3 yukon gold potatoes
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper
- Boil potatoes and garlic in salted water until almost done, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a pan, saute the shallots in tablespoon of canola oil. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Coarsely mash the potatoes and garlic. Add the sauteed shallots. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat remaining oil and butter on medium in a frying pan. Add the potato mixture and fry until crispy and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Using a large spatula, flip the potatoes over and continue cooking until golden brown, another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Wow, were these good. No wonder you enjoy them often. The picky dh was over the moon. He was so happy with these little treasures, that he requested that we make these often. The shallots are a wonderful addition adding necessary moisture and a delicious flavor. The smash browns are crisp, tender, fragile and very flavorful. These were quick and easy to make and we will be enjoying them often. I liked them too. Made for Spring Pac 2014.Reply
I had several points when making this recipe where I had my doubts, but man were they ever unfounded. My 3 potatoes weighed 1 lb 4 oz and I used 3 shallots because I was concerned about the amount. I was raised by a Southern Mom and know about potato cakes, so when I mashed the potatoes I was thinking how are these ever going to stay together without any liquid? Once mixed with the shallots there was plenty of moisture. When I flipped them after the first 5 minutes of cooking they were a bit messy and not very brown so I upped the heat a bit. When I flipped them after the next five minutes, they were perfect, so I cooked them a few more minutes on the first side. These were spectacular! Thanks for sharing. Made for Best of 2013 tag. Oh and yes they are going directly into my Best of 2014 cookbook.Reply
see 6 more