No-Bake Double Chocolate Pots De Crème
photo by StevenHB
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 20mins
- Have ready six 6-oz (180ml) ramekins (3-1/2” wide by 1-2/3” high) or other cups and make room in the fridge. (Small teacups, demitasse- this is not baked).
- Put the heavy cream in a small saucepan (or microwave in a 4-cup heatproof bowl) and heat just until boiling. Once boiling, slide off the heat and whisk in the cocoa powder until smooth. Add the sugar, chopped chocolate, butter, vanilla, and salt and whisk until the chocolate and butter are melted and the mixture is smooth. Set aside to cool until warm and no longer hot.
- Pour the chocolate cream evenly into the ramekins or cups. Depending on what size cups you are using, they will be filled two-thirds to three-quarters of the way. Set aside until cooled to room temperature. Cover the tops- not the custard surface- with plastic and refrigerate until chilled and firm, about 4 hours.
- Make ahead: The crèmes can be prepared and refrigerated for up to 4 days before serving. Finishing Touches: Serve w/slightly sweetened whipped cream, and a few chocolate shavings.
- Mocha: add 1 tsp instant espresso powder along w/cocoa powder. Add 1 Tbsp dark rum or coffee-flavored liquor along with the vanilla.
- Orange- add 2 tsp finely grated orange zest w/the cocoa powder. Add 1 Tbsp orange-flavored liquor along w/the vanilla. Smooth- strain mixture before adding chocolate. Stronger flavor- heat zest & cream, cover & let sit for 15 minutes. Strain if smooth texture is wanted.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!