Newfoundland Dressing for Turkey
photo by mclean
- Ready In:
- Tear bread slices up and place them in a food processor. Pulse until crumbs, not chunks. Remove crumbs and place in medium bowl.
- Add onion, celery, apple, savoury and ginger, and mix well.
- Add melted butter and mix again. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- NOTE: This can also be placed in foil and heated through for 10 minutes, if not stuffing turkey or if there is extra dressing.
- NOTE: A popular Newfie post-turkey meal is "Chips, dressing, and gravy" in which the leftover dressing is placed on top of french fries and then covered in gravy. A sort of Newfie poutine.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
The ginger isn't for flavour... it prevents heart burn. I fry the onions first.. skip the celery and apple. Note... this is newfie dressing.. newfie stuffing is used with cubed and dry bread, dash of ginger pwdr, lots of fi e dice onion, salt and pepper ,,, sprinkle cooking oil or butter , hand full of savory rubber in your has and mix. Add more savory "until it smells good" that there is a 400 yr old shute secret to great stuffing.
This is delicious, you are right. I'm a Newfie too. like LuuvBunny, i do not use apples, pine nuts, cinnamon or wine. Have used just apples though with the peel on. Here is a differnt Xmas version. Have found a very Christmas way to make it look and taste even more delicious though. Add in a 1/2 tin of whole cranberries or more to taste. I stuff one end of the bird without the cranberries, the back end. The front with the cranberry flavored dressing. Cranberries give it a delicious and colorful appearance. A huge Hit. Try it backwards to see if you like it first. As not to waste this delicious dressing.
Being a Newfoundlander myself I have to say that there is no better dressing than this one.This is the only one I ever had growing up in Newfoundland.I myself do not use apples,ginger or celery.But it is the Savoury that makes this so delicious.I believe in alot of other stuffing recipes sage is used.This by far is the winner.