My "famous" Shredded Chicken
photo by jrusk
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 5 chicken breasts, I use the boneless pre-frozen halves from Walmart (I have used boneless thighs with good results as well)
- 1 cup chicken broth. if you value the people you are feeding do not use walmart chicken broth
- Place chicken breasts in pan with broth (I have used frozen, as well as fresh- frozen adds to your cooking time).
- Bring to a boil.
- Turn heat to medium, and let simmer covered for 15-20 minutes (around 10 minutes if yours are defrosted), turning occasionally.
- Then turn to medium low and let cook covered for another 60 min (or until shreds with a fork). You may need to add more broth during that hour if yours cooks down.
- I have let it cook for even longer with great results.
- Let rest in pan for at least 10 minutes, or until you can shred the meat without burning yourself.
- If you are saving the chicken for later, place it in a ziplock with the excess broth from the pan.
- Enjoy in any recipe that calls for shredded chicken.
- You can also add spices/onion/garlic to the meat while cooking, but I like to make mine plain so it will go with any recipe.
Questions & Replies
It says to simmer on Medium.( I thought simmer was to set the temperature so that the liquid is just below the boiling point.) It then says to set the temperature to Medium Low for 60 minutes. Which on my stove is still above a boil. So, am I to understand that she doesn't mean "simmer" at all, but to boil on Medium for 10 to 20 minutes and then continue to boil, but at Medium Low for 60 minutes?
see 1 more questions
Thanks for posting this great "recipe" for shredded chicken. I have cooked chicken for shredding, both on top of stove and in crockpot without any real "formula" for years but the results were not always consistent. (I have always preferred the on top of stove version.) Your instructions gave a moist result with easy shredding. Glad you posted it.
Hahahahaha!!! Finally!! Thank you so much for this easy to follow demystification of shredding chicken! It has eluded me for years! I followed your instructions last night and my chicken tacos were fantastic! I made a huge batch and will use more of the shredded chicken tonight in soup! I really can't thank you enough! All the best!
see 40 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a teacher, and have been married to my high school sweetheart for almost 9 years. I have a niece who is 7, and a nephew who is 1. Also, I have 2 sweet kitties. Sinatra is a bit on the plump side, and Audrey is a petite dainty thing. They both are almost mirror images of each other. <a href="http://photobucket.com/" target="_blank"><img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/airbornearmywife/joshnatras2.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting"></a> <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://wmg.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://wmg.photobucket.com/albums/v202/airbornearmywife/1159026847.pbw" height="120" width="400"></embed> <a href="http://www.amazingcounter.com"><img border="0" src="http://c8.amazingcounters.com/counter.php?i=1680027&c=5040394" alt="Web Counter"/></a> <img src="http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e347/Saturn6666/KiwiDutch/3chefstag1.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"><img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">