Mussels, Clams and Shrimp in Spicy Broth
photo by NNChick
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 24 small littleneck clams, scrubbed (about 2 1/2 lbs total)
- 24 mussels, debearded (about 1 1/2 lbs total)
- 20 large shrimp, peeled,deveined & butterflied (about 1 lb)
- 1⁄2 cup torn fresh basil leaf
- warm crusty bread
- Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat.
- Add garlic,bay leaf and crushed red pepper.
- Saute until garlic is tender (1 min).
- Add wine and bring to a boil.
- Add tomatoes and simmer until the tomatoes begin to break down and flavors blend (5 min).
- Turn up to medium and cook until sauce is good and warm.
- Add clams, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in mussels, cover and cook until clams and mussels open, about 5 mins or so.
- When clams and mussels are almost all opened throw in the shrimp.
- Cover and cook about 1 1/2 min or until shrimp is done.
- Stir in torn basil leaves and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
If we could give this 10 stars we would, sooo delicious and lovely spicy tingle on the palate. We loved every thing about it and will be making it again. Didn't change a thing and I made the whole recipe, we pigged out on it and there is still enough for tomorrow. served with a baguette made into garlic bread. thanks for posting a great one!
This recipe was FABULOUS!!!!! My guest were amazed by the taste, flavor, and restaurant quality. I made only a few adjustments. 1.I added corn cob sliced 1 1/2 inches thick right before I added the clams. and 2. I used White cooking wine instead of regular wine. The finished product was really good.
I halved this recipe and also, because I live in the desert and am on a budget, I subbed a lot using Bistro frozen clams and mussels, and thawed out frozen colossal shrimp. I've used these in many seafood dishes and it is really good considering. It was still a good recipe. Only thing is I felt it was a little bland. I a pinch of sea salt at the end and 2 turns from a peppermill as well. It needed much more flavor. Other than that, it was awesome