From Veronica in McGrath
- Ready In:
- 4 cups instant plain oatmeal
- 3 cups powdered milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 ounces lemon gelatin or 3 ounces lime gelatin
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 ounce root beer extract
- 5 ounces water
- 1 pinch shortening
- Briefly grind the oatmeal in a blender until the volume is reduced to about 3 cups. This imparts the appropriate woody texture to the finished product.
- Dry mix the oatmeal, powdered milk, sugar and gelatin in a large bowl. Remove any rings and continue mixing by hand, squeezing the mix through your fingers while adding the root beer extract, honey and water until the dough is just sticky enough to clump easily.
- Be careful when adding the last ounce of water because it is very easy to add too much. Use a butter knife to scrape the goo from your hands.
- Lubricate your palms with shortening before you roll liittle dollops of dough into the well-known nugget shape. You might want to get a real moose nugget as a model.
- Place on cookie sheets or dinner plates to air-dry for at least 24 hours or until they harden to your liking. Keep in closed container until serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION