Monte Cristo Sandwich
- Ready In:
- 18 slices bread
- 6 slices ham
- 6 slices cooked turkey or 6 slices cooked chicken
- 12 slices swiss cheese or 12 slices gruyere cheese
- mustard, if desired
- mayonnaise, if desired
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- powdered sugar
- For each sandwich use 3 slices of bread. Butter one side of bread first, then cover with a slice of ham and a slice of turkey or chicken.
- Butter both sides of the second slice of bread and spread with a little mustard or other dressing, if desired.
- Place on top of turkey or ham slice and top with 2 thin slices of cheese.
- Butter third slice for top; press sandwich lightly and trim crusts.
- Cut into halves diagonally and secure with toothpicks.
- Beat eggs with milk and salt.
- Dip sandwich halves into the egg mixture and fry on a hot skillet or griddle in butter or margarine.
- Brown on all sides, adding more butter when necessary.
- Dust lightly with powdered sugar & remove toothpicks before serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation