Mom's Yeast Bread
photo by Mommy2two
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 2 tablespoons instant yeast
- 3⁄4 cup warm water
- 2 cups skim milk, lukewarm
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons Crisco, melted (or oil)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 7 -8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter, for top of bread
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water in large bowl. This usually takes about 5 minutes. If you don't see any bubbles/foaming, your yeast is dead, start over.
- Add the milk, Crisco, salt, wheat germ, vital wheat gluten, and about 4 cups flour. I usually heat the milk and Crisco in the microwave so the Crisco melts, and the milk gets warm all in one step.
- Continue adding flour 1/2 cup at a time until the dough forms a ball, and starts leaving the sides of the bowl.
- Knead the bread, adding flour as needed until the dough is smooth and elastic. I usually knead about 3-5 minutes.
- Let bread rise in a covered bowl in a warm place until double in size (about 30-60 minutes).
- Punch down and form into loaves or rolls and place in a greased and floured pan.
- Let rise about 30 minutes more. Bake at 425 degrees 25-30 minutes, or till the bottom of the bread sounds hollow when tapped.
- Remove from pans and place on racks to cool.
- Butter tops while still warm, if desired. Cool completely before wrapping.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p> </p> 8764174"