Molasses Soda Bread
- Ready In:
- Preheat the oven to 400 and lightly oil a large baking sheet. Sprinkle the sheet with cornmeal, semolina, or oats, and set aside.
- Put the 1/2 cup oats in mixing bowl. Stir in the buttermilk, molasses and oil; reserve.
- Mix dry ingredients in large bowl. Make a well in the dry mixture and add the liquid all at once; add raisins. Stir briskly with a wooden spoon until dough pulls together in a shaggy mass. Let rest 3 minutes.
- Flour your work surface and hands. Scoop half of the dough onto floured surface and knead gently; if dough is a little sticky, a dough scraper might help. Knead for 1 minute, shaping into a ball. Place on the baking sheet. Using a sharp, serrated knife, make two parallel slashes on the surface of the dough, about 3/4 -inch deep. Repeat for the other half of dough and place on sheet; leave plenty of room between the loaves.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then reduce the heat to 375 and bake 20 minutes more, until dark and crusty. When done, the bottom should sound hollow when tapped with a finger. Cool loaves before slicing.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!