Mexican Pollo En Pipian
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
For authenticity, leave out the peanut butter. Use your molcajete to grind the chilis. Then add the broth. Prep time includes cooking time for chicken.
- Ready In:
- 1 large chicken, quartered
- 6 dried ancho chiles
- 1⁄2 cup water, hot
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 1⁄2 green pepper, cut into strips
- 2 carrots, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 teaspoon dried whole coriander seed
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can chicken broth
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup peanut butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried whole thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove, ground
- rice, hot, cooked
- Remove stems and seeds from chiles.
- Chop chiles, and combine with 1/2 cup hot water in a small bowl; cover and set aside 1 hour.
- Combine chicken and next 6 ingredients in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour.
- Remove chicken and vegetables from broth; set aside. Strain broth; reserve 1 cup and return 2 cups to Dutch oven.
- Bone and chop chicken; return chicken and vegetables to Dutch oven.
- Combine chiles and reserved 1 cup of broth in container of an electric blender; process under smooth.
- Add peanut butter; process until smooth.
- Add to chicken mixture; stir well.
- Add salt, cinnamon, thyme, and cloves; stir well.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Serve with rice and tortillas.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION