Mexican Lentil Soup With Panela Cheese
photo by TasteTester
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 3⁄4 lb chopped ham
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 7 cups water
- 5 teaspoons beef bouillon
- 1 lb lentils
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- salt (to taste)
- 12 ounces panela cheese (or cotija cheese)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot and sauté ham and onions until the onions are tender but not browned.
- Add garlic and carrots and sauté lightly for 1-2 minutes.
- Add water, bouillon, lentils, rosemary, thyme, black pepper and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cover with a tight fitting lid.
- Cook until tender (approx 1 hour).
- Serve with warm corn or flour tortillas and and garnish with panela cheese.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We like to have soup often as a healthy alternative. This soup was very good -- I loved the taste of the ham and carrots -- I'll put more carrots in next time because they added such a fresh flavor to the soup. I only used 1/2 of the cheese and it turned out just to our tastes. My husband loved it and I'm making a second batch to freeze tomorrow so we can have it on hand for those busy nights. Thanks, Gabesgirl, for submitting this great recipe!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a 29 year old wife and mother of one. We live in the city of Monrovia California with our little dog Brownies. I am currently working part time as a sales assistant for a small company while I complete my masters in education. I am also working on becoming a credentialed elementary school teacher and volunteer for a first grade class at the local elementary school. My hubby is an IT administrator for a local company. My husband and I are also trying to start up an entertainment company called Bounz Entertainment. We specialize in DJ services for weddings, anniversaries, birthdays and corporate parties. Visit our website at bounzentertainment.com for more information. My husband and are both first generation Mexican-American and love all types of ethnic foods. We love to cuddle and spend family time together with our son.