Mennonite Apple Dapple Cake
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups chopped apples
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350*, Grease a 9 inch tube or Bundt pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat eggs with an electric mixer. Add the vanilla and sugar, beating well.
- MIx 1/4 cup flour with the apples, nuts and coconut and set aside. Add remaining dry ingredients to the egg mixture and combine. Fold the fruit mixture into the batter and pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 70 minutes, remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Remove cake from pan. Meanwhile combine topping ingredients in a saucepan and boil for 2-3 minutes, pour hot topping over warm cake.
- **This recipe can also be baked in a 13x9 inch pan plus a 9x5 loaf pan for 40-45 minutes.
- ** I love to bake, bake professionally, and have found Mexican Vanilla to be more aromatic and tastier than most brands in the stores. I order it my the case, yes, 12 quarts about every two years. The brand that I buy is 'LaVencedora' and I was introduced to it in Santa Fe, New Mexico. It is available on line by searching the name, try it, you will never use any other vanilla!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am an avid cook and baker. I have a small wedding cake business, doing about 6 cakes each year strictly as a hobby. I collect cookbooks and my library is 600 plus books strong, I have recipes for practically ANYTHING and I am still looking for more. I am the mother of two beautiful daughters and the wife of a 'very special' man. His love for food inspires me to be the best cook that I can be!!<img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg"><img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg">