Memphis Style Baby Back Ribs
photo by Jonathan Melendez
- Ready In:
- Wash the ribs and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place each slab of ribs on a sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil and rub well with rib rub.
- Seal the foil and place in refrigerator for 4 to 6 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator and place sealed packed in a 275 degree preheated oven.
- Cook for 3 to 4 hours or until tender.
- Baste both sides of ribs with Memphis Barbecue Sauce recipe 99023 and grill 5 to 7 minutes per side.
- Serve with extra sauce and lots of paper towels.
Questions & Replies
I have been using this method for many years. I find that 900Degree/hours is the key, 225F/4hrs or 300F/3hrs. Either one will work, but I prefer the 225F/4 hours. You can prepare it the afternoon/evening before, wrap it up in the foil, and refrigerate overnight. Place a roasting tray on the bottom rack of the oven to catch any drippings, as on occasion the rib bones can puncture the foil unnoticed.
It was kinda grainy. The big problem was my husband wrapped the ribs in foil bone side up, it didn't mention anything about this in the recipe so he didn't think it would matter. So when we opened the ribs the meat was sitting in a grease bath, gross! the meat was so over done I couldn't pick it up with tongs, we had to pull it out of the grease and eat them with a fork, tender but not a keeper...
Paula G, thank you for this great recipe. We made it for our dinner group and boy where we the talk of the neighbor. We also used the Memphis Barbecue sauce that you recommend. The only thing we did different was cook them for about 5 hours and the meat just fell off the bones, I think that is what impressed our dinner guest. Thank you for making our night a big success.
I prefer the following rub; 2 parts paprika, 2 parts brown sugar, 1 part each of salt, black pepper, granulated garlic, granulated onion, chili powder, cumin and cayenne. Options I use at times are dry oregano or thyme, and a pinch of one of the following; ground cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice or a tsp. of powdered instant coffee.