photo by ElizabethKnicely
- Ready In:
24 regular size muffins
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup rice milk
- 3⁄4 cup maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease 24 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add 3/4 cups of the walnuts to a food processor or blender with 1/2 cup of the flour. Process until a nut flour forms.
- In a bowl, sift together the other 2 cups of flour, the "nut flour", the sugar, baking powder, and salt. Create a little well in the middle and add the beaten eggs, melted butter or margarine, milk and syrup. Stir for about 1 minute, or until smooth-ish but slightly lumpy batter forms.
- Coarsely chop the remaining walnuts and gently fold into the batter. Pour the batter into the greased muffin cups.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until begin to golden on the edges and center has cooked through. Let cool for about 10 minutes on a wire rack, then remove the muffins from the pan. Serve warm with butter.
- This can also be baked in a loaf pan for 50-55 minutes. Let cool completely before slicing.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
29 year old wife and mother of 3 who is obsessed with meal planning.