- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 2 lbs eggplants, peeled and sliced
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb lamb
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 3 ounces butter
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups warm milk
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 dash salt
- 2 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- 2 whole eggs
- Salt the slices of eggplant, let them stand in a colander for 15 minutes and then pat dry.
- Fry the eggplant slices in the olive oil, turning once, browning on both sides.
- Drain the slices on paper towels.
- Saute the onion until soft.
- Add the meat and brown.
- Add the tomatoes, herbs, and seasonings and then simmer for 25 minutes.
- For the sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in flour.
- Add the milk, gradually, while stirring and remove from heat once it is thickened.
- Add the sauce seasonings, Cheddar cheese and then beat in the two eggs.
- Arrange half the eggplant slices in the bottom of a greased 9"x13” baking dish, then top with a layer of half the potatoes.
- Top with all of the meat mixture, then layer the remaining eggplant followed by the rest of the potatoes.
- Pour the white sauce over all and bake at 350°F for 50 minutes or until the top is crusty brown.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I poured over moussaka recipes for 2 days before I decided on this one. I trust it's authenticity and I am glad I found it. It was a lot of work, but well worth it. I brushed the eggplant with olive oil and grilled it outside. My whole family enjoyed it. I did check with a Greek friend about the potatoes, as some recipes had them, others did not I sauteed them in a small bit of olive oil. This is a keeper. We had no leftovers.