Pecan Pralines, New Orleans School of Cooking
photo by Javier M.
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecans (roasted optional)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla (or 1 teasp. Vanilla and 1 teasp. Bourbon or brandy)
- NOTE: To roast pecans, bake them on a sheet pan at 275 for 20-25 minutes, until slightly browned and fragrant.
- Combine all ingredients and bring to a softball stage (238-240 degrees), stirring constantly. Soft ball stage is also achieved when you place a spoonful of sugar mixture into a glass of water and it sticks to the side.
- Remove from heat.
- Beat with a wooden spoon until mixture thickens, becomes creamy and cloudy, and pecans stay suspended in mixture.
- Spoon out on buttered aluminum foil or parchment paper.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!