photo by College Inn
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup diced onion
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 carton (32 oz.) College Inn® Chicken or Turkey Broth, divided
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook onion, celery and thyme until vegetables are very soft and golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook until just beginning to brown, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes.
- Gradually stir in 2 cups broth. Cook, stirring frequently with a whisk, until thickened and smooth, about 3 minutes; cool. Refrigerate gravy base and remaining 2 cups broth up to 2 days before serving.
- When turkey is finished roasting, remove from pan to let rest. Skim fat from pan drippings. Add turkey pan drippings to refrigerated gravy base in a medium saucepan; heat over medium heat, stirring frequently. Add reserved broth ¼ cup at a time until desired thickness. Simmer until heated through and serve.
- VARIATION: To make Mushroom-Wine Gravy, prepare recipe as directed, except add 1 cup finely chopped mushrooms and 2 tablespoons dry red or white wine when cooking onion and celery and substitute sage for thyme, if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!