Southern Living Make-Ahead Turkey Gravy
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
From the Nov 2006 edition. This recipe uses a homemade stock.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 2 turkey neck
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 celery rib, coarsely chopped
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup loosely packed fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Brown turkey necks in hot oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- Add onion and celery; saute 5 minutes. Stir in broth, parsley and thyme. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- Pour through a wire mesh strainer; discard solids.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 4 to 5 minutes or until mixture is golden.
- Gradually whisk in stock, wine and sage; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 to 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in salt and pepper to taste.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION