Lightened-Up Banana Bread
photo by Lalaloula
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup Splenda granular, no calorie artificial sweetener (granulated)
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 bananas)
- 1⁄2 cup fat free egg substitute (like Egg Beaters)
- 1⁄2 cup no-sugar-added applesauce
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- no-calorie butter-flavored cooking spray (optional)
- Cool Whip Free (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine both types of flour, Splenda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon (in other words, all dry ing redients).
- In a separate bowl, mix together the mashed bananas, egg substitute, applesauce, and vanilla extract (all the wet ingredients).
- Add this mixture to the bowl with the dry ingredients, and stir until just blended. Spoon batter into a large loaf pan (about 9" X 5") sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Bake for about 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly, and then cut into 8 slices.
- If you like, spritz with some spray butter or spread on some Cool Whip Free.
- This make 8 thick slices!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
WOW, what a great banana bread recipe! It has tons of banana flavour and is moist and yummy! Mmm, everyone enjoyed it and no one would believe me that it was a lower fat, good for you version. :)<br/>I made half the recipe using a real egg and baking the dough in muffin tins, but other than that I followed your recipe to a t and it was perfect! THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this true winner with us, Lainey!<br/>Made and reviewed for Potluck Tag Game January 2011.
I adore the very low far and sugar content in this recipe and it tastes lovely. Mine ended up heavy and over moist. That could be because I didn't measure the banana but just used 3 banana's. When they were mashed up i thought that it looked on the generous side but used it all anyway. You get huge servings by just cutting 8 slices from a 9" loaf :D. I had 2 for my lunch and it was lots! I think I will use more cinnamon next time and measure the banana's. Made for Photo Tag.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I want to thank all of you who review the recipes I post - good or bad. It's always good to get feedback and helpful tips and I really appreciate them all! I try to send a note when someone reviews one of my recipes, but I don't always get the chance. Please know that I really enjoy reading the reviews. I also love all the photos everyone posts, too! Thanks so much. Happy Cooking!