Lentil and Sweet Italian Sausage Soup
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 8 ounces sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- In a soup pot, cook sausage until brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in onion, celery, carrot, and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in lentils, broth, and black pepper. Simmer for 40 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Made for a cook a thon, and all my best thoughts go right along with this review. This was easy, fairly quick to make, I had everythign in the house, and even if you didn't, this would be a really inexpensive soup to make. I calculated under 3.00$ for 4 1.5 cup servinfgs, and it was thick like that, could be thinned down farther. Very tasty, I admit to adding a bit of extra Italian sausage seasoning, otherwise, I followed the recipe to the letter, even using just the half pound of sausage, which is plenty for the soup. I will make this again and again. It is the kind of soup that will probably be even better tomorrow and will freeze beautifully. I also liked the fact that it only really made 4 big servings. Not too much. Really good, needs to be discovered by more people!