Lemon Tarragon Brined Whole Chicken
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Cooking Light 2005
- Ready In:
- 7 cups water, divided
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
- 8 tarragon, sprigs
- 1 cup kosher salt1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups ice cubes
- 1 (4 1/2 lb) roasting chickens
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon, divided
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper, divided
- cooking spray
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice, divided
- Combine 1 cup water, rind, and tarragon sprigs in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; remove from heat. Place in a large bowl; cool to room temperature.
- Add remaining 6 cups water, salt, and sugar, stirring until salt and sugar dissolve. Place salt mixture in a 2-gallon zip-top plastic bag. Add the ice and chicken; seal.
- Refrigerate 3 hours, turning bag occasionally. Remove chicken from bag; discard brine. Pat chicken dry with paper towels.
- Prepare grill for indirect grilling, heating one side to medium and leaving one side with no heat.
- Sprinkle cavity of chicken with 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped tarragon and 1 teaspoon pepper. Lightly coat outside of chicken with cooking spray.
- Rub the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped tarragon and 1 teaspoon pepper evenly over outside of chicken. Place chicken on grill rack coated with cooking spray over unheated side.
- Close lid; grill 15 minutes. Brush chicken with 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Close lid; grill an additional 30 minutes.
- Brush with remaining lemon juice. Close lid; grill 15 minutes or until thermometer inserted into meaty part of thigh registers 180°.
- Place chicken on a platter; cover with foil. Let stand for 15 minutes. Discard the skin.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note