Lemon Meringue Dessert Squares
If you love lemon meringue like I do, you will enjoy this great little variation. It comes from a Pillsbury cookbook, "Best of the Bake-off". Time to cool (an additional 2 hours) is not included in prep time.
- Ready In:
- 1 package pudding-included yellow cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1 dash salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 4 egg yolks, slightly beaten (reserve whites for meringue)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons grated lemons, rind of
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease 13x9-inch pan.
- In large bowl, combine cake mix, 1/2 cup butter and egg.
- Mix at low speed until crumbly.
- Press mixture in bottom of greased pan.
- In medium saucepan, combine 1 1/3 cups sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Gradually stir in water; blend until smooth.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture boils, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir about 1/2 cup of the hot mixture into the egg yolks; return egg mixture to saucepan.
- Cook until mixture is bubbly.
- (Mixture will be very thick.) Remove from heat; stir in 2 tablespoons butter, lemon peel and lemon juice.
- Pour filling over crust.
- In small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar at medium speed until soft peaks form, about 1 minute.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar (1 tablespoon at a time) beating at high speed until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Spread meringue over hot filling.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes or until meringue is golden brown.
- Cool 1 hour.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
- Cut into squares.
- Hint: To cut perfect slices of meringue desserts, dip knife in water before cutting.
- After each cut, wipe knife clean and dip it in water again.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION