Lamb Meatball Stew With Barley
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This is adapted from 365 One Dish Meals. Posting for ZWT3. This would freeze well (minus the turnip.)
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground lamb
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 small turnip, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- In a large Dutch oven, combine lamb, mint, bread crumbs, egg, and pepper. Using your hands, mix ingredients together well.
- Form into 1 ½ inch meatballs and set aside on waxed paper.
- In the same pan, combine the chicken broth, kidney beans, tomatoes and their liquid, carrot, turnip, celery, garlic and barley. Stir to mix.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Carefully add meatballs.
- Cover and simmer 1 ½ hours.
- Stir in parsley, lemon juice and zest. Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION