Knoedel (Austrian Bread Dumpling)
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- If you do not have stale bread, leave the bread out to dry overnight, or dry in the oven on low. The bread should be in cubes and put into a bowl.
- Butter a 9"x13" baking dish.
- In a skillet, brown the onion, parsley, and butter over medium heat. Pour over the bread crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper.
- Pour over the bread crumbs and mix well before leaving to stand for 1 hour.
- Fill a large pot with 3" of water. Place a rack in the pot, then put the baking dish on the rack. Cover and steam for 1 hour.
- Remove from rack and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Drizzle with melted butter before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I joined Recipezaar to learn new recipes that are home cooked. I grew up having ready-meals like Encor and Stouffers and needed recipes that don't simply require opening a box and plopping in the oven! I enjoy cooking when I have the time to try new dishes. I make every recipe as written if I'm reviewing it to give a true review. If I make alterations that aren't in the directions, I don't feel it's a true reflection of the recipe; it's another recipe to me. <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/participantbannerzwt5.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/chefpaulag/final-1.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/captain.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/329769/ninja%20bmp.jpg" width=75%> (Zaar World Tour 4) <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg"> <a href="http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/Missymop/?action=view¤t=cunningcrocodiles.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/Missymop/cunningcrocodiles.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> <img src="http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/DSC_0020.jpg"> (Australia/New Zealand Swap #15)