Kimbell Museum Southwest Chicken Soup
- Ready In:
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cups chicken stock (or chicken broth)
- 4 chicken breasts (or cooked chicken or turkey)
- 4 chicken thighs (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons picante sauce
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies
- In a large dutch oven or soup pot, saute the onions and celery in the oil until soft. Add the chicken stock or broth, chicken pieces (if using) and the brown rice. If using cooked chicken or turkey, add now. If using the chicken pieces, simmer until chicken is tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove chicken and set aside to cool (again if using uncooked chicken pieces).
- Continue cooking for another 15 minutes. Remove chicken from the bones and add back to the stock along with the remaining ingredients.
- Heat through and adjust seasonings to taste.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!