KFC Original Recipe
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 10mins
- 8 pieces chicken (marinated in Kosher salt water for at least 2 hours...do not skip this step)
- 6 cups peanut oil (will keep the chicken tender)
- 2 cups canola oil (helps give the crust a slightly crispier finish)
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon chicken, power
- 2 tablespoons ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon non-iodized salt
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon msg (Accent)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Combine and place both oils in pressure cooker and heat to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the egg and milk.
- In a separate bowl, combine all non-liquid ingredients and mix well.
- Dip each piece of chicken into the egg / milk mixture until well coated.
- Roll the moistened chicken in the flower mixture until well coated.
- In groups of 4, drop the coated chicken pieces into the fryer and lock the lid.
- Cook for 8 - 9 minutes (note pressure will build up around the first two minutes). Allow chicken to cook under pressure for the remaining time (approx. 6-7 minutes under pressure).
- After 8-9 minutes, remove heat and allow pressure to diminish (or open safety pressure release if your pressure cooker has one). Always follow your manufacturer's instructions on how to safely use your pressure cooker. DO NOT attempt this recipe if your pressure cooker is not rated for oil cooking. Always follow your manufacture's instructions on proper use of a pressure cooker.
- It is not necessary to use a pressure cooker if you do not have one. However, I have found that when frying in an open pan, the batter mix will get very crispy and loose the intended flavor. If using a frying pan (instead of pressure cooker), fry for a total of 12-15 minutes to ensure chicken is cooked thoroughly.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!