Italian Sprinkle Cookies
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- 3 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder, plus
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil or 1/2 cup shortening, melted
- 1⁄2 tablespoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup warm milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 7⁄8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 to taste colored sprinkles (mixed red, green and white!)
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs until light and foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Set aside. In another mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking powder; stir in oil and extracts. Gradually add eggs (dough will be stiff). Roll dough into 1 inch balls. Place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes or until the edges begin to brown.
- For glaze, combine milk and extracts in a large bowl. Add sugar; whisk until the glaze is smooth. As soon as cookies are removed from the oven, quickly immerse 2 or 3 at a time into the glaze. Remove with slotted spoon (or fingers lol).
- Place cookies on wire racks to drain. quickly top with sprinkles. Let dry 24 hours before storing in airtight containers.
- Time does not include drying time.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is my absolutely favorite cookie. I have been making these cookies for years...same recipe, except, I do not press them after they are rolled into balls. I ALWAYS have to double the glaze in order to dunk every cookie. They look very sweet with all of the sprinkles, but are not overly sweet and they go great with coffee.