Italian Sausage Rice Balls With Marinara Sauce #Ragu
photo by Christine V.
- Ready In:
20 rice balls
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1 cup cooked italian sausage, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, diced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, finely crumbled
- 1 cup Ragú® Pasta Sauce
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Sauté onion over medium heat with olive oil in a large sauce pan for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes, tomato paste, garlic, basil and oregano. Cover and cook 15 to 20 minutes on low heat until sweet potatoes are tender. Stir occasionally.
- Place mixture in a large mixing bowl to let cool. When cool, add sausage, ¾ cup of the breadcrumbs, cheese, rice, and egg. Mix very well with hands.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and lightly oil a baking sheet.
- With hands, form into golf ball size pieces and coat them in the remaining breadcrumbs. Place rice balls on baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Warm marinara sauce and drizzle over rice balls.
- Garnish with grated parmesan cheese.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!