IP Garlic Rice and Chicken
- Ready In:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 2 1⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs (frozen is okay)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese (or grated)
- 1 large bunch asparagus, washed and cut into 1 inch pieces (see note)
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the butter. Swirl the pot around so the butter melts. Add in the onion and saute for 4-5 minutes. Add in the minced garlic and stir for about 20 seconds. Add in the brown rice and stir to coat the rice in butter and onions. Stir in the chicken broth, basil, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Nestle the chicken on top of the rice.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 22 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit there for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Use tongs to remove the chicken and place it on a cutting board. Stir in the parmesan cheese and the asparagus. Cover the pot so the warm rice can “cook” the asparagus. Cut the chicken into pieces and add it back inches Salt and pepper to taste. When asparagus gets to your desired softness serve and enjoy. I like my asparagus with a little crispness so it didn’t take much time at all. Plus my asparagus spears were pretty skinny.
- If you prefer you can use broccoli florets in the place of asparagus. Cut a head of broccoli into small florets so they can cook quickly. Follow the directions above as written. You can also use frozen broccoli. Run hot water over the broccoli before adding it into the pot.
- If you prefer white meat over the dark thighs you can use thick chicken breasts. Because the rice needs to cook for 22 minutes the chicken can get a little overcooked. Using thick chicken breasts helps with that.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Die hard Cleveland Indians fan GO TRIBE - loves spending time with my family, when we have the time, my DH and I love to golf. While I like to cook quick & easy meals for my DH and myself, I also enjoy spending a day or two in the kitchen preparing big family meals like for Thanksgiving.