- Ready In:
5 9 inch pancakes
- 1 cup buckwheat pancake mix
- 1 cup Bisquick baking mix
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 - 2 cups water
- Mix all ingredients, starting with the lesser amount of water. Add water to achieve a consistency which is easy to pour.
- Bring a 10-inch skillet or a handled griddle pan to medium heat uniformly over the flame.
- Do not let the pan get too hot.
- Spread 1/2 teaspoons oil over the pan with a brush.
- Fill a pitcher with batter.
- Pour the mixture on the griddle in a thin stream starting from the outside and going in circles to the center from left to right.
- As soon as it bubbles uniformly all over remove from heat.
- Pancakes should be 9 inches in diameter.
- Place the pan in an oven at 325' for about 1 minute until the top is dry but not brown.
- Making it is easy, but getting the Injera texture takes a bit of experimentation, first, because not all pancake mixes are alike and secondly, it is important to cook the pancake at just the right temperature. This takes a bit of practice.
Join The Conversation
This unleavened bread of Ethiopia is really a huge pancake made in special large pans with heavy covers. The batter is saved from an earlier baking and added to the new batter to give it a sourdough quality. It is poured at a thin consistency and baked covered so that the bottom of the pancake does not brown. The top should be full of air holes before the pancake is covered. The heavy cover steams the pancake so that when it is finished it looks like a huge thin rubber sponge. Since Tef is not available here the combination of buckwheat flour mix and biscuit mix seems to produce the closest substitute. ** Found on an African cuisine website for ZWT 4.**
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Cooking is my passion! I enjoy reading cookbooks; especially old church ones. I don't have a favorite published cookbook; our family has our own which we call the 'cooking bible.' We like to cook together and try new ethnic cuisines. I work as a business consultant. I never can understand people who don't enjoy cooking especially if they like eating. <br /> <br /><br /><img title=Photo src=http://www.pickle.com/plink/ph/795B07337A4704307B51032E7C5A0433785C1C512307476E143E5A652E076C307C5C0A357F5A0439140741682C4659712C.jpg border=0 alt=coolmonday-particiation2 /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /><br /> <br /><br /><br /> <br /><br /> <br /> </p>