Indian Noodle Payasam
An Indian dessert - sounds delicious !!
- Ready In:
- 30 g butter
- 100 g raw cashews
- 3⁄4 cup sultana
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cardamom seed
- 1 pinch saffron thread
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 50 g rice vermicelli, broken into small strands
- edible edible silver foil (to garnish) (optional)
- Melt butter in large pot.
- Add cashews and sultanas, cook 3 minutes till nuts are toasted.
- Add cardamon seeds and saffron, cook 60 seconds till fragrant.
- Add milk and sugar, bring to the boil.
- Add noodles, reduce heat to low.
- Cook, covered for 10 - 15 minutes till noodles are tender.
- Cook, uncovered a further 10 minutes till thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, spoon into bowls.
- add garnish if desired.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
First time making an Indian dessert and it was a winner! DD calls it Indian Soup,it must be the noodles that makes her call it that. I used walnuts and made everything else as stated.I reduced the sugar to 1/4 cup and it was still very sweet for me,but I know how sweet Indian treats tend to be. I thought would be a more intense color to it,but I'm pretty sure they use food coloring in Indian sweet shops.Brought back memories from the shop I use to buy sweets in Vancouver,Main St.Thanks for sharing.