India Spiced Rice With Pumpkin Seeds
- Ready In:
- 2 cups uncooked brown basmati rice or 2 cups uncooked basmati rice
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder (also called hing)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon hot chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- Combine water and rice in large saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat 10-15 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Dry toast the pumpkin seeds in a large skillet over high heat by shaking the pan over the heat until the seeds begin to pop. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In skillet, heat the oil and hing. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and sesame seeds; saute until they begin to pop. This will only take a few seconds!
- Add onion and cilantro, saute until onion is soft and translucent. Remove from heat.
- Stir remaining ingredients into onion mixture, mix well. Add onion mixture and pumpkin seeds to rice, mix well. If rice has cooled, heat over low heat, stirring often.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!