How to Grill Oysters
photo by januarybride
- Ready In:
- 2 dozen oysters
- lemon wedge (optional)
- Preheat grill to high (very important, otherwise they will not get hot enough to pop open the shells).
- Check oysters for freshness by tapping each oyster gently on a work surface to make sure they close their shells when tapped. Discard any oysters that don't close.
- Place the oysters on the grate with the deeper shell down to hold in the juices.
- Grill for 5-8 minutes. Remove each oyster from the grill the second the shell pops open (even if it is ever so slightly open) dumping out the juices onto the coals. Do not delay in removing them from the grill, as they will cook up to nothing!
- Pry off top shells with an oven mitt, pull the oyster off of the top shell. Dump out juices, return oyster to the shell and serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!