Hot Tamale Pie
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder (to taste)
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (12 ounce) package corn muffin mix
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Brown ground beef, onion and green pepper. Drain grease.
- Add salt, pepper, chili powder, tomatoes and kidney beans to meat mixture.
- Let simmer while preparing the corn muffin mix.
- Mix muffin mix per package instructions omitting any egg and using the 1 cup of milk.
- Pour meat mixture into casserole, top with muffin mix.
- Bake in 400 degree oven 20-25 minutes, or until muffin mix is cooked through (mine always takes 25 mins.).
- Sprinkle cheese on top and bake for another 5 minutes until cheese is melted.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is the same recipe my mom made for us when we were very young. I don't remember the green peppers, or the kidney beans. But it's been over 40 years since I had this. I've been trying to remember this recipe for nearly that long. Thank you so much for bringing back some wonderful memories of my child hood. Melody A/Lansing Il.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I grew up and still live in the suburbs of Chicago, IL. My husband and I are empty nesters I work full time in computer consulting and so don't have much time for cooking, but I do enjoy it and like scanning through the recipes here for new ones to try. I'm fairly new to this site, but have already tried a number of recipes - so far, so good! My husband is a chocoholic, so I especially look for recipes that contain chocolate